Dr Stefano Utili Dipl(Eng) MSc PhD MICE CEng
Departmental Lecturer in Engineering Science
Tutor of St Anne’s College
Member of the Civil Engineering Group
My current research lines are summarised in the following list:
- Investigation of Shot peening applied to blades and aero-engine components,
- Modelling of pipeline soil interaction,
- Modelling of debris flows and landslides in rocks and dry granular materials,
- Investigation of the mechanical properties of lunar soil,
- Investigation of compaction bands in geomaterials,
- Development and implementation of the DEM for non-spherical particles.
In the past, I also did research on the stability of slopes using both the DEM and the limit analysis upper bound method.
A list of publications can be found in my publications page. PhD candidates are welcome to contact me to apply for a thesis in one of the four aforementioned areas or to propose their own research theme.
- October 2008 to present: Departmental Lecturer in Civil Engineering at Oxford and Tutor at St Anne’s College where I am also a Tutor for Admissions.
- November 2006 to October 2008: Post-doctoral Research Fellow (grade 7) in the Department of Civil Engineering, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow (UK). Since January 2008 I am also a visiting researcher at Tongji University.
- May 2005 to October 2006: senior engineer at SnamReteGas (ENI group, national oil and gas company), San Donato Milanese (Italy)
- April 2004 to April 2005: technical office responsible at GL Locatelli Srl, Turate (Italy)
- March 2001 to April 2004: graduate student Researcher at Politecnico di Milano, Milano (Italy).
- 2004: PhD in Geotechnical Engineering, with distinction, Politecnico di Milano, Milano (Italy)
- 2001: M.Sc. in Structural Engineering, Chalmers University of Technology, Goteborg (Sweden)
- 2000: Laurea (Diploma) in Civil Engineering (5 years degree), 100/100 cum laude, Politecnico di Milano, Milano (Italy)
Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE).
Member of the Italian Order of Engineers.
Member of the British Geotechnical Association.
European Engineer, FEANI member.
There is an extensive set of civil engineering links on the Civil Engineering Home Page
- Civil Engineering at Oxford University
- Engineering Science at Oxford University
- Politecnico di Milano, Italy
- Tongji University, China
- Research on Offshore Foundations at Oxford
- The Institution of Civil Engineers (UK)
- Engineering Council
- The Institution of Italian Engineers (Italy)